3 main groups of ingredients are essential to make a Green Smoothie. And the other 2 are purely optional.
All you need to do is to ensure that you have one or more ingredients from each of the 3 main groups and you are ready to roll!
1. Liquid Base – You will need a certain amount of liquid to blend the greens and fruits. Here are some options :
- Cold Water
- Juice (Try not to use commercialised ones. Juicing your oranges, grapefruits etc. will be more beneficial)
- Coconut Water (This is one of my personal favourites for blending!)
- Plant based Milk (Hemp, Almond, Oat or Rice)
2. Vegetables – These vegetables are more commonly used for blending. Spinach and lettuce have the least veggie taste.
- Bok Choy
3. Fruits – Any fruits will be great… But remember to remove the pits! Bananas and Mangos are great at masking the veggie taste.
- Seedless Grapes
- Any Berries
- AND… SO MUCH MORE !!
4. Herbs – This will bring the taste of your green smoothies to another level !
- Parsley leaves
- Basil leaves
- Mint leaves
5. Superfoods – These are great sources of fiber and give your Green Smoothies a lovely nutty flavour
- Chia Seeds
- Ground Flaxseeds
Tip #1 : If you find that your blends aren’t that tasty, add some honey or stevia or blend some dates in to sweeten the drinks
Tip #2 : Mangos, Avocados and Bananas will give you a creamier consistency
Tip #3 : To thicken your green smoothie, crush ice in your blender or add chia seeds.
Tip #4 : Add Whey or Hemp protein into your blends for a post-workout nutrition.
The combination is endless and I am always excited to try out new blends!
I am here to share my little project with you and also hope to get some ideas from fellow chuggers. So please feel free to leave comments 🙂
16 thoughts on “What goes in a Green Smoothie?”
Great sharing! Thanks so much!!
For me, it’s always lemon + so and so… Coz lemon has wonderful nutrients and thousand and one benefits for our body! Once mixed with other fruits and veges, it’s really not sour at all, try it!
Cheers to health!
Thanks girl !!! Yes! I love adding lemon juice too… Great for detox! 🙂
thanks for the like on my green smoothie post. i am loving your blog, so i will definitely be checking back for inspirations for my post-workout smoothies. and, you are right, spinach does have the least veggie taste.
Thanks! Great to find another Green smoothie drinker in this blogosphere 🙂
wow your smoothie are packed of vitamins and minerals
Thanks! Hope you like them 🙂
Pingback: Watermelon & Goji Berries Smoothie | Chug Your Greens
Will deffo be trying this once i get a juicer! i am struggling to find one that isn’t ridiculously expensive!! 😀 Love ur blog xx
Thanks for your kind comments! I don’t use an expensive blender either lol. Mine is a Phillips model… does it job too lol 🙂
🙂 Are your recipes made in smoothie blender then and not a juicer?? i have a smoothie maker 😀 x
Yes… mine are all blended. I don’t own a juicer… I’m kinda lazy to clean up the parts after every use and I want the pulp / fiber from the ingredients 🙂
😀 thnks x
Hi Joy – These are some great ideas for blends I hadn’t thought of, thanks for sharing!
And thanks for swinging by and liking my green smoothie post!
Hi! Apologies for my late reply… Thanks for dropping by too! 🙂
So glad that you found my blog and left a comment, I’ve been looking for more green smoothie ideas so your blog will be a great resource! Thanks!
Thanks for dropping by! Cheers to Green Smoothies 😉