3 main groups of ingredients are essential to make a Green Smoothie. And the other 2 are purely optional.
All you need to do is to ensure that you have one or more ingredients from each of the 3 main groups and you are ready to roll!
1. Liquid Base – You will need a certain amount of liquid to blend the greens and fruits. Here are some options :
- Cold Water
- Juice (Try not to use commercialised ones. Juicing your oranges, grapefruits etc. will be more beneficial)
- Coconut Water (This is one of my personal favourites for blending!)
- Plant based Milk (Hemp, Almond, Oat or Rice)
2. Vegetables – These vegetables are more commonly used for blending. Spinach and lettuce have the least veggie taste.
- Bok Choy
3. Fruits – Any fruits will be great… But remember to remove the pits! Bananas and Mangos are great at masking the veggie taste.
- Seedless Grapes
- Any Berries
- AND… SO MUCH MORE !!
4. Herbs – This will bring the taste of your green smoothies to another level !
- Parsley leaves
- Basil leaves
- Mint leaves
5. Superfoods – These are great sources of fiber and give your Green Smoothies a lovely nutty flavour
- Chia Seeds
- Ground Flaxseeds
Tip #1 : If you find that your blends aren’t that tasty, add some honey or stevia or blend some dates in to sweeten the drinks
Tip #2 : Mangos, Avocados and Bananas will give you a creamier consistency
Tip #3 : To thicken your green smoothie, crush ice in your blender or add chia seeds.
Tip #4 : Add Whey or Hemp protein into your blends for a post-workout nutrition.
The combination is endless and I am always excited to try out new blends!
I am here to share my little project with you and also hope to get some ideas from fellow chuggers. So please feel free to leave comments 🙂