It was such a warm, humid morning and I was really craving for something hydrating and nutritious… Had a mini Watermelon in the fridge and decided to whip up this Green Smoothie for the family!
I didn’t have much ingredients left in the fridge so I had to make do with what I could find…
Making a Green Smoothie is really quite simple… If you are entirely clueless, you can always refer to my post here to understand what goes into a Green Smoothie and you can kick start by making a simple blend like this 🙂
1 x Mini Watermelon (cubed and seeds removed)
2 x Green Kiwis
3 heads x Butterhead Lettuce
2 x Medjool dates
Handful of Goji Berries
½ cup x Cold water
-serves approx 3 cups-
I seldom buy Watermelons because I am so lazy to lug it back home from the Supermarket… But if I see a Mini version, I would get it! Watermelon is a really great fruit for smoothies. It is very juicy, refreshing and has amazing health benefits as described below :
- Has the highest concentrations of lycopene, an antioxidant that helps to reduce the risk of various types of cancers.
- Gives you a great boost of energy!
- Is alkaline-forming so it helps to balance your PH levels in your body
- Contains approximately 92% water content and has a mild diuretic effect
- Contains high levels of Potassium, which promotes healthy muscle, nerve functions and helps reduce the risk of high blood pressure
(Why isn’t it pretty ?!?!?!)
Right… I knew the colour would turn out weird because of the mixture of Red and Green. This happened many many times 😆
But it was definitely thirst-quenching, cooling and yummilicious! I also added Goji Berries and Medjool dates to slightly sweeten up the drink and my parents did enjoy it a lot…
This drink would be especially good for pre / post workouts because it helps to amp up your energy level and provides you with ample hydration!
Watermelon is one of the best summer refreshments! You can add it in your salad bowl, juice it alone as a slushie or simple use a spoon and dig in!
Please don’t be intimidated by the colour… Try this recipe and let me know how it goes!